Family Planning Services
Pregnant women of any age can find a warm and welcoming environment in Volunteers of America of Pennsylvania’s Caring Alternatives program. Our trained counselors offer an array of FREE information and training to new and expectant mothers and guardians of infants up to the age of 1 to improve their parenting skills, prenatal health, home health and safety. By enrolling with Caring Alternatives you receive:
• A support system and access to resources from prenatal to postpartum
• A personal counselor to bridge the gap between expectant/new mothers and fathers and community-based resources
• In-home visiting and Sibling Support to promote the wellness of all children in the household as they prepare and adjust to the new baby
A key component of the service offered by Caring Alternatives, one that provides the most positive impact on the lives of families with babies, is access to our Baby Pantry for all the essential baby items they need (diapers, wipes, formula, etc.) For low-income families, a lack of access to these items would not only be devastating, but it would also be dangerous—especially to the littlest, most vulnerable among us.
Caring Alternatives is available at no cost to the families we serve. Funding for the pantry comes largely from monetary donations, in-kind gifts and grants from our community. Our Baby Pantry consists of the following items, which are always in need:
• Diapers (sizes newborn to 5)
• Formula (Similac Advance)
• Baby jar foods (fruits & vegetables - stages 1 & 2)
• Baby wash, baby lotion, A&D ointment, powder and other hygiene items
• Baby nipples (sizes newborn, 3-6 months, 6-9 months)
• Baby bottles and cleaning brushes
• Newborn onesies, blankets, booties, hats and one-piece pajamas
If you, your family, school, church or civic group would like to make an in-kind or monetary gift, please call our Wilkes-Barre office at 570.825.5261 or toll-free at 1.888.350.4862. For additional information, please contact Program Supervisor, Nancy Kempa at email@example.com.